The latest Velib' survey results are available and posted on the Velib' Website. Just in case you don't parlez Français, here's a summary:
- Trips to date: 20 million
- Average trips/day: 70,000
- Average trip time: 18 minutes
- 190,000 annual pass holders
- 42% of users are female, 58% are male
- 1/3 of users come from outside the central city
- 17% of users are 46+ years old
- 94% of users like the service
Having nearly the same percentage of female and male customers shows how mainstream bike-sharing has become in Paris. In cities where lesser bike cultures exist, such as those in North America, males tend to dominate bike usage by 3 to 1. Women are less likely to ride a bike when concerned about their safety compared to men. Men also tend to be generally more risk-taking and will ride in less safe street conditions. While not 50/50, this male/female customer demographic shows that women are using Velib' confidently, so Paris has done a good job in creating safe bike facilities before the launch of the program.
image credit: Velib'